Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The curious case of the Tilted Buddha

Was intrigued on a recent trip to Bhubaneshwar when I saw a sculpture of a tilted head of Buddha and I asked the significance to the sculptor. He couldn't explain me the significance and me being me went on to check why the Buddha's head is tilted. It all comes to one of the quotes apparently attributed to Buddha.

“When you realize how perfect everything is, you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky”- Buddha

What it apparently means is this:

Since everything is but an illusion,
Perfect in being what it is,
Having nothing to do with good or bad,
Acceptance or rejection,
One might as well burst out laughing!

I don't really know whether Buddha actually said that and that inspired this tilted version of Buddha or its is just down to coincedence. Nevertheless its interesting.


1 comment:

  1. Good reflection. T S Elliot said that many of the greatest works of art are made all the more special by a degree of abstraction in them. I'd sneak in "and some imperfection" in brackets after 'abstraction'.

    ReplyDelete